Greensand filter is used to reduce iron, manganese and hydrogen sulphide from water.
Hydrogen Sulphide gives water an obnoxious “rotten egg odour” that can make it unbearable to drink, cook with or bathe in. It also promotes corrosion and tarnishes silver. Higher concentrations are flammable & potentially poisonous.
Manganese is most often present in iron-laden waters. In concentrations over 0.05 mg/L (PPM), it causes black deposits on plumbing fixtures and laundry.
Iron, in concentrations over 0.3 mg/L (PPM), causes reddish-brown deposits (stains) on laundry, dishes, utensils, glassware and appliances like dishwashers, washing machines etc. It can also cause deposits in pipes, pressure tanks & water heaters reducing the available water flow and pressure.
Often two or all three contaminants appear together in water requiring separate treatment units that add to cost and maintenance. Rainfresh GREENSAND filter is specifically designed to remove all three or either contaminant – Iron, Manganese and Hydrogen Sulphide. Installed after the pressure tank, Rainfresh Greensand filter delivers, clear, clean water by reducing the contaminants to negligible levels.
BENEFITS of Greensand filter
- Reduces rotten egg odour by removing Hydrogen Sulphide
- Prevents red & black stains in showers, bathrooms, sinks, dishwasher, washing machine etc & removes rotten egg odour (if present)
- Treats ALL the water in the house
- Top of the line electronic controls for high efficiency and ease of use
- Electronic controls with bilingual (English & French) display
- Easily programmable with a touch of the button (cycle time, backwash frequency etc.)
- 360 degree rotatable connector fittings makes installation easy as they can be easily rotated to suit any installation angle or pipe direction. Also reduces cost of extra plumbing fittings
- ¾” NPT elbow or straight fittings
- Cleans and regenerates itself automatically using chemical (Potassium Permanganate – Pot Perm for short)
- Greensand filter needs a well pump flow rate of at least 8 US GPM (30 LPM) is required for the unit to operate properly
- Installs on main water line after pressure tank and before water pipe divides into hot and cold
- Requires air-gap drain connection or drain run can be run to a laundry tub
- 15 ft of drain hose included
- 120V AC power required (consumes only about 8W power)
- The chemical (pot-perm) is consumed in the cleaning/regeneration cycle (It does not go into the water). Typically a 5 lb jug will last approx 3-4 months. Pot-Perm can be ordered from Home Hardware stores.
- A 5lb jug of Pot-Perm is included with the unit
Greensand filter can be ordered directly from Rainfresh web store.